Morganville Flower Farm Test Garden 2021
Every year we grow a half acre garden to test our present vegetable and flower varieties and try new plants. All surplus vegetables are contributed to local food pantries.
Plant some dill, fennel, parsley and rue to provide food for the swallowtail caterpillars.
- Prospera™ was the star. This new basil was the most disease resistant basil we have ever grown and produced well until frost. Amazel™ was a runner up.
- Jade – Easy to Grow – Excellent – Productive and Tasty
- Provider – Best used early as it can tolerate cooler temperatures.
- Roma – Nice Flavor – Harry’s Favorite!
- White “Silver King” – very sweet
- BiColor “Enchanted” organic – sweet look
- BurpeeTM Homemade Pickles – Get the jars ready when you plant this one!
- Fanfare – More Compact Vine – Lots of Cukes – Great in Limited Space!
- Marketmore – Large and Productive!
- Muncher – Pick small and you can eat them right in your garden – Harry’s favorite!
- Black Beauty – ORGANIC – large and productive.
- Early Midnight – Medium and VERY EARLY!
- Satin Moon – Long Season Producer
- BurpeeTM Ambrosia – Flavor that is HARD TO TOP.
- Infinite Gold – Better Disease Resistance – Quite Sweet.
- Snak Hero – Very Sweet – Peas like it COOL – Plant in April.
- BurpeeTM Great Stuff – Very Large
- BurpeeTM Thunderbolt – fantastic grilling pepper
- Red Beauty – Long Season of Bell Peppers
- Yellow Bell – Very Sweet
- HOT – BurpeeTM Armageddon – Very HOT – VERY Productive
- Green Machine – Best Zucchini we have EVER grown! (Patio Partner)
- Garden Leader “Goldfinch” ORGANIC – YELLOW – never stopped producing!
Sweet Potato – very easy to grow
- “Beauregard” – vigorous and delicious
- “Vardaman” – compact for smaller gardens
- “Big Zac” – Huge Tomatoes ALL Season – Need to Cage!
- Burpee”Fourth of July” – Earliest and Produces Small ALL Season
- Burpee “Steakhouse” – VERY LARGE – Need to Cage!
- Chef’s Choice Orange – Best All Around Tomato! (funky color)
- Goliath – Nice Medium Tomato
- JetStar – Medium and Crack Resistant
- San Marzano – Great Choice for Sauce
- “Sunsugar” – Orange Cherry – Very Sweet & Productive
- Supersonic – Very Productive
- Cal Sweet – A bush watermelon with large fruit and small plant.
- Yellow Baby – A yellow melon – always VERY SWEET!
- Min Love – Only 4-5 points – very sweet – COOL NAME!
Vegetable Garden Flowers
Agastache “Hyssop” – perennial great for bringing bees into the garden
Marigold – “Cracker Joe” – repels insects and rabbits
Mexican Sunflower – bright orange blooms attract Monarch butterflies
Zinnias – butterflies love any variety preciosa and zesty have a nice bushy habit
- benary’s giant – great cut flowers